UST Cleanup Fund Reimbursement
CATEGORY OF SERVICE, LOCATION:
Helping our clients to receive reimbursement through the California Underground Storage Tank Cleanup Fund (USTCF).
TYPE OF CLIENT:
Current or past owners and operators of the petroleum USTs from which an unauthorized release has occurred.
Federal and state laws require every owner and operator of petroleum USTs to maintain financial responsibility to pay for any damages arising from their tank operations. In 1989 California Legislature created the USTCF to assist small businesses and individuals by providing reimbursement for expenses associated with the cleanup of leaking USTs such as the cleanup of contaminated soil and groundwater. The USTCF is administered by the California State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board).
CLIENT GOALS FOR PROJECT:
The owner or operator of USTs that caused the unauthorized petroleum release is financially responsible to clean up the resulting contamination. By applying to the USTCF they can be reimbursed for the cost of the cleanup.
It is also possible to gain reimbursement for costs incurred in the past, as long as the necessary documentation is available for submittal to the USTCF.
- Trinity submits a complete Fund Claim Application with all required supporting documentation.
- As the cleanup project proceeds, Trinity uploads reimbursement requests to the USTCF utilizing their electronic submittal procedure. The reimbursement requests typically cover progress payments. In addition, reimbursement requests for historical costs from past years also may be submitted.
- Site information is uploaded to the State database GeoTracker website, making it available to the public.
- Trinity tracks the progress of reimbursement requests through the electronic submittal system. If additional documentation is requested, Trinity provides the information on behalf of the UST owner.
- Trinity also submits appeals for denied reimbursements, to demonstrate to the USTCF that the reimbursement request covers reasonable and necessary costs for cleanup.